Friday, April 27, 2012

D1 - Open Series - Raechel Bible

I decided to do my open series over stereotypes & how those stereotypes affect how people perceive others. I also used images of well known people to show how wrong the stereotypes can be.

The bodies in the photo belong to Jay-Z & Beyonce, but the faces belong to Barack & Michelle Obama. I think Barack & Michelle Obama are a good example of what some African Americans are like. The stereotype being that all African Americans are "thugs".

The stereotype for this image is that all nail salons are run by Asians. Not only that but I notice more & more that people will assume that someone is Chinese if they look like that are from Asian descent when they are actually from somewhere else. I think it's rude & i'm sure those people do too. 


Stereotype: All Indians own/work at 7-11 or drive a taxi cab. Also more than that is that all Indians worship cows & are Muslim. I used Aziz Ansari in this image Because he is a good example of why this stereotype is wrong. Aziz Ansari is of Indian descent but he is from South Carolina. Also he is not a Muslim, he is an Atheist.

Stereotype: Everyone from the south is white trash or a redneck and a racist. I come from a town where people put rebel flags on their vehicles & use them as window curtain, but don't have a clue as to what it symbolizes. Which is ignorant. (like people who believe stereotypes) I used quite a few celebrities in this image to show that white trash can come from anywhere not just the south. Amy Winehouse is from London but she was one of the trashiest people I have ever seen. Kid Rock is from Michigan but again very trashy. I do recognize there is white trash in the southern states so I put Britney Spears (Louisiana) & Miley Cyrus (Tennessee). The others in the image are just more of what you would picture as white trash. A man showing off his large gut and a dirty little kid.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

These are interesting! I think you nailed the stereotypes.

Unknown said...

Not bad! I think shadows are missing on some that would make it tie better.