Wednesday, March 9, 2011

D1 Tutorial #3 Portel Bellamy

D1 Tutorial #3 - Portel Bellamy

Masking an Adjustment using the Gradient Tool

For this tutorial I will demonstrate how you can adjust the colors and tone of your image subtly with the Gradient Tool.

Step 1.) Find an Image. I used some old farm equipment out in a field. I figured nobody would mind if I used it since they were just leaving out in the field.


Step 2.) Click on the "fill or adjustment layer" button. It is the on and the bottom of the Layers palette that looks like a circle made of two separate colored pieces.



Step 3.) Scroll up to the Photo Filter selection and click on it.


Step 4.) In the Adjustment>Photo Filter tab, find the Color selection. It is orange in my image.


Step 5.) Find a color that you would like to adjust your image with. I choose red.


Step 6.) Once you have your color selected then you need to adjust how much you want the color to affect the image. This can be done by adjusting the Density, in the Photo Filter tab. I choose the set the Density at 76%


this next image will show how dramatic the density can affect the image.


Step 7.) Go to the Gradient Tool. It can be found in the standard toolbar and looks like a rectangle with on side darker than the other. (it is the one selected in this image).




Step 8.) At the top of the tool bar are the gradient varieties. There are five types. they are all rectangles with different designs within them. I choose to use the rectangle with a darker side to the right. (it is the one selected in this image).




Step 8.) Make your gradient line. I choose to make a vertical line across the image. that way the color tone goes with the sky, but you can move the line across the image however you see it best.

and abracadabra, now you have some old farm equipment with a red sky background.



I hope this can help you with your upcoming work. Enjoy.


1 comment:

Aaron said...

this is pretty useful!