Thursday, April 7, 2011

D1 Open Series Filipelli

In this series, I used modified vintage images of Barbie from old pattern packages. I put them against a bold background where I used several techniques to make my backgrounds interesting, with a secondary subject image for each. Pamela

Answering Aaron's comment:

Barbie, as an American icon, is known to show girls that they can be many different things and have different interests. Each of these Barbies is set with a secondary subject that suggests that alternative to the downtrodden housewife of 50s life.

The Red Coat Barbie is dabbling in the world through the "looking glass" as shown by the "Alice in Wonderland" character The Hooka-Smoking Caterpillar.

The Orange Lounge Gown Barbie is set against a floor plan of her "Dream House" that she can buy and have built on her own.

The Lampshade Skirt Barbie is a young girl dreaming of making large works of art such as frescos that require work on a scaffold.

Desert Barbie is a traveller who enjoys fun in the sun.

And Wind-blown Barbie is lost in her Fantasy world of the Scottish Highlands and ghosts.






7 comments:

Unknown said...

I can see the consistent theme of cut-out women. It looks as though they are from fabric pattern illustrations. I like the bright colors in the second image. The last image seems a little dark but I like the concept. I guess this is saying that women do go places, that they don't have to stay in one place just being house wives.

Dinah said...

I really like your backgrounds. Especially like the florescent colors in the background of the one with the blue print.

Jami said...

I really like the greens in the first image and the negative approach to the background of the last image.

Jourdan Clark said...

i like the first on the best.. i feel lik ethe doll really fits into the background that you gave it.. nice blend of colors

Aaron said...

What is the connection between Barbie and each background?

Pamela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Austin said...

Cool idea! I like the blueprint one