Thursday, April 7, 2011

D1 Open Series, Jami Turner

For my open series, I chose to take recognizable figures, and put them in unexpected situations. I had trouble choosing, but hopefully everyone likes the results. The finished 'Hitler In Vegas' and 'The Beatles In Vietnam' were meant to look like photographs. I used layer masks to merge images together for a realistic effect, and added noise for a fuzzy look. I also used the eraser tool and brushes for minor touch ups. 

'Abe In Space', 'What Toons Do In Their Spare Time', and 'Zombie of Rock 'n' Roll' were more complicated. I had to go through tutorials to get the destroyed city effect I wanted in the zombie photo, and had to use quite a few layers to get what I wanted accomplished. Elvis' face was done using brushes; I did the majority of the meaty parts by hand, as well as his eyes. I also messed with the curves, contrast, and added some blur to make it look like one smooth photo. Abe Lincoln took all of the same steps. The toons in the bar took the longest; it was really hard for me to find what I wanted to make the toons look like they were actually sitting together in the bar. Lots of eraser, paintbrushes, and changing the blur and levels on each toon. 


























12 comments:

distanthundr74 said...

abe in space is really cool.

Unknown said...

Well its a good thing you explained your pieces because I might not have recognized the theme but I do like the idea. Very different. I really like the "What toons do in their spare time" one because of the colorful cartoons against the dark background making a high contrast image, which i like.

Dinah said...

I love "what toons do in their spare time" ! Fantastic image, very well put together, made me laugh. :)

sijan rana said...

the beatles entertaining in the middle of a war...thats really nice.

Candace Sweatt said...

You need a hug, don't you?

Corey Dozier said...

I like the theme an the execution of it! I can tell a lot of time went into some of theses pieces! The toons one is my favorite! Very humorous!

portel.bellamy said...

I would easily be a history major if that was the way the world really was. Great job.

Austin Hamm said...

I really like the "what toons do in their spare time" all of the images seem to fit together so well within the context of the picture, and like sam said the contrast of the characters on the darker background of the bar really adds to the picture as well.

Cody said...

Very cool, I wouldn't have noticed that was Elvis if it weren't for your description though.

Jourdan Clark said...

i like this idea.. the cartoons are so cute.. this was a very different but nifty idea i think...

Pamela said...

What did you do to ELVIS?!?!

Good work, though.

Austin said...

Great work! What toons do in their spare time is definitely my favorite